Friday 3 April 2015

Why confront something when you can avoid it !!

P.S. The title is not an exclamation by mistake, it is so on purpose!!

What in life is worth a confrontation that will definitely lead to a feisty heated argument?

I have had a lot of situations in life where I had to confront people and call them out for their wrongs.
And trust me, I mean it when I say 'A LOT'. I confronted the people that hurt me and pretended to be right in doing so. I could walk away, but these people were worthy of a fight. You know the kind of fight that you have when you need to hold on to some person for life and you can not just let go. The fight when you don't want the relationship to die because of some stupid misunderstanding or miscommunication or something even sillier than that. But these fights were all in my head. Yes, the fights weren't real.
They were all the imaginary arguments I should have actually had with these people. But every time I chose to hide behind 'he/she must have had his/her own reasons' or 'there's no point in bringing this up even if it hurts me' or 'what if he/she doesn't get the point and it gets worse than what it is now'

My feelings were always like the hero Dhanush's dialogues at the end of his movie Raanjhana where he said:
"Hum Uth Sakte The Par Kiske Liye.. Hum Cheekh Sakte The Par Kiske Liye....Par Saala Ab Uthe Kaun, Kaun Phir Se Mehnat Kare Dil Lagane Ko, Dil Tudwane Ko".
Yes, it did hurt but I didn't have the energy in me to put all the effort to build that relationship all over again.

So in reality, I have never confronted anybody in my life for my sake. I have confronted people to defend a friend, a family member but not for myself. Now don't underestimate me as I did have some real confrontations as well, but they have always been with my own family. They are important and worth fighting for. I can't walk away from those relationships (not on purpose and not in this life) and I know for sure that they care enough to stick by my side even after the ugly confrontation, even if it gets worse than what it is.

I have lost a lot of really good friends because I never confronted them and I do miss them. I wanted to shout at them and say "Are you kidding me? All these years... for what?" But I didn't.
My reasons were: I felt that these people were better off without me or I was better off without them or maybe both.



And mainly because some things in life are easier said than done. So the actual reason is: Confrontations aren't easy. It is one of the toughest things to do and brings a lot of negativity, so I don't do it even if it means losing precious people.
So, in spite of all the bravado I emit on the outside, I am scared of confrontations. Therefore, I live by the principle : Why confront something when you can avoid it!! And once I avoid people, the distances grow. And those little things that I didn't confront become sky high mountains that can't be climbed anymore :(

Have you ever confronted anybody? A friend or a relationship that was worthy of saving? How did that end up? Any happy endings I could get inspiration from? Let me know.... I could use some change in perspective!!

No comments:

Post a Comment