Friday 27 July 2018

Return to Corporate World - The start of Working Mommy life!!

If you have been here before, you might know that I changed gears of my life at the end of 2015. From being a full-time IT engineer I went on to be a housewife. For those of you who are new here - yes, I quit my corporate job of almost a decade and ended up being a stay-at-home mom to my little one. That wasn't the plan though!

When I thought about having a baby, I never thought about quitting my job but circumstances at that point in time made me quit. It didn't make any sense to me or to the people around me but as they say, you can only join the dots backward. Those circumstances were universe's way of telling me - you are going to have your hands too full to do anything else for the next few years. And boy oh boy, my little boy!! I would never be able to decide whether he is more cute or more naughty :D :D Such are the joys of motherhood!!

Cut to 2018 and my boy is now more than 2 years and has started going to school (insert proud mom face here :P). So what if he's just going to a playschool. So what if I burn a hole in my pocket to let him play in someone else's premises. It's still a school :P. I digress. He is in school and I am back in the corporate world. Just the way universe pointed me to stay-at-home, the universe pushed me back to work as well. Coz this wasn't the plan either!

I was going through probably - correction - definitely the toughest phase of my life. My mom who is my family's backbone was being treated for cancer and all I was thinking about was her treatment and wellbeing. I got an irresistibly good opportunity and I didn't want to even attempt the interviews because - priorities. My mother pushed me to go ahead and attempt the interview. At her physically weakest moments, she was still mentally stronger than me - the wonder and blessing that my mother is!! Now I am extremely spiritual and believe in the energies of the universe. Time and time again, my mom has proven that she is the closest source to the voices of the universe that I have in my life. I hadn't been working full-time for almost 2 years at that time and I still managed to get the job with minimal focus - just the way I was destined to :) Not only did I get the job but I got a job that allowed me to stay with my mom and take care of her while her treatment was still going on!! Thank you universe!!

When I was about to join work, the most prominent emotion was - self-doubt. I didn't think I could do it anymore. But I have an amazing mentor to thank the universe for! He not only believed in me but also made me believe in myself. I had read and heard a lot of times that brain can be trained in the same manner as any other muscle. So in a way, my work to my brain is the same as cycling to my body. Once you learn how to do it and commit that to muscle memory - it never goes away, you can't forget how to do it. I realized how true it was when I started working again. I felt at home the day I set foot in my new office. It has been 6 months now and I am happy as a clam :)

I spend lesser time with my boy now but both of us cherish this time more. He sure was getting bored of seeing mommy's face - all day long! He gets to see more people in a day than he saw in a week when I was home. Also, he gets infinitely pampered by his grandparents and his grandparents get to spend time with the kid they had been waiting for longer than I have been alive :P. (that's a fact, my husband is older than me and I am telling you that all grandparents seem so happy like they dreamed of being a grandparent the day they had a kid. So yeah, they had been waiting for my son longer than I have been alive). My husband is now more involved in the upbringing of our kid. He can now officially be called - a hands-on father :). I have a great support system at home and God bless India for house help. I wouldn't survive a week without my maids :D :D. All in all, it's a win-win for everybody - so - working moms are the best :D :D (Thoda boasting to banta hai)

Last but not the least - Dear fellow moms, if any of you had quit work and are planning to join back then this small leaflet from my life should tell you this - Don't let self-doubt get in your way coz you can do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment