Tuesday 13 September 2016

Arranged Marriage vs Love Marriage - why the comparison?

I have been away for a long long time and I missed you dear reader and my dear blog. I am thankful to a post on my Facebook wall from a friend comparing love marriage and arranged marriage as that post provoked me (read infuriated) to write again.

For those who aren't familiar with Indian traditions, arranged marriages are quite common in India. In an arranged marriage families search for suitable match for their kids to get hitched. Unlike a love marriage where you find your own partner and in an extremely progressive era, love marriages are still a lil frowned upon in India. 

Coming back to the Facebook post - a picture in this post went on to compare chapatis made by wives in an arranged marriage and chapatis made by wives in love marriage.

Here's the pic for your reference 

In case if you are smirking at your arranged marriage, thinking "This is so true", then let me tell you that you are the reason I am writing this elaborate post instead of just commenting on my friend's pic to give her a piece of my mind. Let me start by saying that this representation of marriages and wives is WRONG - at so many levels. Here are some of the things from the top of my head:
  1. Demeaning love marriages- So you had an arranged marriage and you can cook... good for you. That doesn't give you the right to judge love marriages.
  2. Binding marital choice with cooking skills - These two happen to be two mutually exclusive things. Just because someone had a love marriage doesn't mean they can't cook and vice versa. I am a proud example of how good a woman can cook despite her love marriage :P
  3. The word wife in that picture - I am yet to see a picture of rotis made by men irrespective of the marital status or choice of marital arrangement. When are we ever going to stop judging wives based on their cooking skills?
  4. The fact that this was posted by a woman - Women can be each other's worst enemies. In an era when we are still fighting for equal rights as men, the last thing we need is a woman demeaning another woman based on her marital choice. 
Marriages are all the same. They take a lot of love, courage, hard work, mutual respect and some sacrifices on the way in order to make them work. So I would like to say this to everyone who had an arranged marriage and likes to demean love marriages - I know the grapes are sour (for you) 😂😂

No comments:

Post a Comment